|Staff Category:||Staff member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||05 March 2017|
EMBL is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Outreach and Local Communications Manager who will be responsible for engaging members of the public and our local communities in the fascinating research carried out at EMBL. As Outreach and Local Communications Manager you will work with a group of writers, designers, web producers and analysts in our Strategy and Communications team, promoting the work of EMBL at its five sites in Europe.
We are an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and to the broader science communication community. This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany.
- Devising and delivering strategies to intensify EMBL’s outreach to and engagement with local communities including local media, students, school children and other members of the general public
- Developing and implementing a local communications strategy for EMBL’s Heidelberg site and collaborating with local Communications Coordinators on local communications at other EMBL sites
- Developing and delivering visitor programmes and hosting visitors, leading guided campus tours and presenting EMBL to visiting groups
- Planning and organising events at EMBL’s Heidelberg site
- Supporting other outreach events at EMBL and its participation in science festivals and open days
- Establishing and maintaining active and effective relations with regional and local press around Heidelberg and the Rhein-Neckar region and supporting the Head of Media Relations in handling German media requests
- Fostering internal relations and collaboration with other EMBL training and outreach activities
- Establishing and maintaining active and effective relations with science communications professionals and local collaborators in Heidelberg
- Contributing actively to EMBL’s Science and Society Programme by supporting the Science and Society Committee in proposing speakers, helping develop ideas for topics and promoting visibility of its activities
Qualifications and Experience
As our ideal candidate, you will be educated to degree level (or equivalent), ideally in a scientific subject, with experience in outreach and public engagement in a science-based environment.
You will have the ability to conceive, implement and evaluate successful outreach activities, and experience of planning, organising and delivering public engagement events.
We are looking for someone with a proactive, open and friendly attitude and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You should be passionate about science and enjoy explaining it to a wide range of audiences. You will have outstanding organisational and administrative experience, enjoy working in a team and be comfortable working to deadlines.
An excellent command of spoken and written English and German is necessary; knowledge of other languages, particularly French, Italian or Spanish, is desirable. Experience working in an international environment is an asset.
EMBL is a world-leading life-science research organisation funded by over 20 governments. We are international, innovative, interdisciplinary and highly collaborative, with 1600 employees from many nations working on five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please apply online through
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.